NC State Extension Gardener Travel Study Adventures
NC State Extension Gardener Service-Learning, Educational Travel-Study Adventures Around the World
Travel is a unique immersion experience, engaging all your senses in a learning opportunity that expands your perspective and knowledge in important ways. We offer horticultural educational travel study programs focusing on plants, insects, animals, ecology, biodiversity, geography, history, and horticulture production.
While you can read about plants and ecosystems, nothing compares to the benefit of direct experience. Seeing plants in their native habitat provides a better appreciation for how and why they grow the way they do and an opportunity to compare the ways plants (and animals) adapt to various environmental constraints. These lessons help us understand not only the ecology of other habitats but also provide insights on growing plants at home.
Benefits to NC Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
- An affordable opportunity to travel internationally learning about horticulture in a different climate.
- A guided trip created especially for gardeners.
- A chance to build relationships with Gardeners from across the state and around the world.
- A service-learning experience to make a tangible difference, learning while doing.
Benefits to the NC Extension Master Gardener Program
- An incentive to motivate volunteers and staff to stay engaged while they grow personally and professionally.
- An opportunity to build cross-cultural relationships that can open doors to new opportunities.
- April 7 – 14, 2021 – The Gardens of Catalonia, Spain
- May 13-22 Gardens of Devon and Cornwall, England
- Oct 5 – 14, 2019 – Tuscany, Italy– Magnificent Public and Private Gardens; Wine, Cheese, and Olive Oil tasting – SOLD OUT
- Mar 1 – 14, 2019 – New Zealand North and South Island
- Feb 23- Mar 3, 2019 – Costa Rica–– Rain Forest, Butterfly Gardens, Volcano, Chocolate, Coast, Farms, Spices and more – SOLD OUT
- 2018 – Costa Rica – Rain Forest, Volcano, Thermal pools, Chocolate, Spices, Roses, Orchids
- 2016 – Costa Rica –– Rain & Cloud Forests
Register to Receive Invitations to Upcoming Travel Study Adventures
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are some of these tours more expensive than tours offered elsewhere?
The fee is based on the number of travelers, the destinations included, and accommodation choices. We offer small-group, boutique tours with an emphasis on unique accommodations and visits to places that are not open to larger groups. While it is less expensive to take 50 people on a tour, it is an entirely different experience, limited to public gardens, restaurants, and hotels that can handle large crowds. Our tours typically host less than 20 people and sometimes less than 15.