Travel Study Program
NC State Extension Master Gardener Service-Learning, Educational Travel-Study Adventures Around the World
Travel is a unique immersion experience, engaging all your senses in a learning opportunity that expands your perspective and knowledge in important ways. The NC EMGV Program offers horticultural educational travel study programs focusing on plants, insects, animals, ecology, biodiversity, geography, history, and horticulture production.
While you can read about plants and ecosystems, nothing compares to the benefit of direct experience. Seeing plants in their native habitat provides a better appreciation for how and why they grow the way they do and an opportunity to compare the ways plants (and animals) adapt to various environmental constraints. These lessons help us understand not only the ecology of other habitats, but also provide insights on growing plants at home.
Benefits to NC Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
- An affordable opportunity to travel internationally learning about horticulture in a different climate.
- A guided trip created especially for gardeners.
- A chance to build relationships with EMGVs from across the state and around the world.
- A service learning experience to make a tangible difference learning while doing.
Benefits to the NC Extension Master Gardener Program
- An incentive to motivate volunteers and staff to stay engaged while they grow personally and professionally.
- An opportunity to build cross cultural relationships that can open doors to new opportunities.
- 2019- Costa Rica— Rain Forest, Butterfly Gardens, Volcano, Chocolate, Coast, Farms, Spices and more
- 2018–Costa Rica – Rain Forest, Volcano, Thermal pools, Chocolate, Spices, Roses, Orchids
- 2017–Costa Rica — Tropical Fruit
- 2016–Costa Rica — Rain & Cloud Forests
- What to know before you join us on a trip to Costa Rica
- 2018- Hawaii Big Island–Orchids, Coffee, Onamental Nurseries, USDA Research Center, Native Plants, Volcano National Park and much more!
- 2019 – New Zealand North and South Island