2017-EMGV Study Tour Costa Rica
Watch for future
2017 NC Extension Master Gardener Volunteer
International Study Program
February 26 – March 5, 2017
- Dr. George Wilson, Professor Emeritus, NC State
- Lisa Sanderson, State Coordinator of the NC EMGV Program
LAND ONLY PACKAGE PRICE (Airfare is not included):
- Register after September 1-$2,350/person double occupancy
- $600 upgrade to single occupancy
- $1,000 deposit holds your reservation with balance due 90 days before travel
- For more info, contact Kari Laudano at (573) 303-2872 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Bougainvillea – after arriving at the Juan Santamaria International Airport, you will have the remainder of the day to relax and take photographs. The Garden Club of Costa Rica recently recognized the the Hotel Bougainvillea as the “Best Garden of Costa Rica” (2 nights and final night)
- Travel to the slopes of Poas Volcano where you will visit:
- Freddo’s Fresas:Enjoy local dairy farm and organic strawberry plantation. You will enjoy a tractor cart ride around the farm, stopping to pick strawberries and see how they make their delicious artisanal cheese.
La Paz Waterfall Gardens : Walk through beautiful orchid and hummingbird gardens on your way to the magnificent waterfalls. Three kilometers of serpentine paved trails allow visitors to experience and photograph the forest as they wind through both cloud and rainforest. It has the world’s largest enclosed Butterfly Observatory covering 18,000 sq ft with many species of colorful native Costa Rican butterflies, plants and animals. In addition you will likely see jungle cats, hummingbirds and other birds, snakes, frogs, monkeys and more.
- Sibu Chocolates Join us for a trip through time as we taste our way through the history of chocolate.
- Hotel Sueño Azul– (2 nights) After breakfast visit:
- La Selva Biological Station, a research station managed by the Organization for Tropical Studies. You will experience the rainforest along with their well-kept trails.
- Sarapiqui Leisurely Boat Tour – while this is not white water rafting, it is slow water which is perfect for bird-watching and enjoying the view!
- Earth University – Visit this School of Agriculture of the Humid Region where a resident guide will take you to their organic banana plantation.
- On your way to Gayabu Lodge (2 nights) – visit the village of Turrialba with a view to the magnificent and active Turrialba Volcano.
- CATIE -The Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center – experience the “Fruits of the World” tour. You will have the chance to taste tropical fruits from all around the world. Expect some pleasant surprises and in the afternoon, a service-learning project.
- Farmers’ Market – after breakfast, head back to San José stopping at a Farmer’s Market
- Ileana Terán’s – visit her home and private gardens – a treat for your last evening in Costa Rica!
Not sure? Read the Reviews from the 2016 Trip to Costa Rica and read below for more information to get ready!
Reviews from the 2016 trip 5 out of 5
- “Absolutely Phenomenal”
- “The trip was amazing in every way!”
- “The best and most fun activities ever! Well planned and executed. . . really hard to choose a best because each outing was so much fun.”
- “Wonderful! Great learning experience!”
- “Couldn’t be happier. A wonderful experience. Took just over 1,000 photos”
Learn More About the NC Extension Master Gardener
Tour being Coordinated in part by Hidden Treasures Tours
For more information, contact Kari Laudano at (573) 303-2872
Or email email@example.com